Friday, January 8, 2010

Preventing Collections from Becoming Clutter

This is an occupational hazzard for many antique dealers and collectors.  I know I can't pass up certain items, like the WWII medal, or the 60s enamel flower pin, or the gorgeous Roseville vase, but what do I do with it all?   For one, I sell them.  But I also derive great joy from my collections and from the thrill of hunting them down and acquiring them.
One of the best tips I've ever read was to put all pieces of your collection together.  When grouped together, they make a statement.  I recently bought a beautiful antique china cabinet with delicate, wavy glass and locking doors complete with a skeleton key.  This is now the home to my collection of Blue Willow and Flow Blue china. ( I also threw in the WWII cake toppers and some vintage shell art for good measure.)  Now I can see it daily and enjoy it.
 I also encourage everyone to use their things.  Many times, I go to estate sales only to find that there are boxes of unused china, pottery and glassware.  On one hand, I'm glad it is in such good condition, but how sad that it's former owners never used it.  Crystal stemware, fine china and the like are made to be used and enjoyed. 
On that note, another way to enjoy a collection is to repurpose them or use them as decoration.  The 60s enamel flower pins that I collect have become a very swanky lamp shade for my daughters' bedroom.  Some of my pottery I use to contain my kitchen utensils and mail.  Look around your house and see what practical pieces can be replaced by something that you collect.
My New Year's Resolution is to find new ways to enjoy all the interesting finds that I've acquired.  I'll keep you posted.


No one displays collections better than Martha Stewart.  Here a collection of transferware makes a stunning statement...



Even humble objects can look great when grouped together.  These types of collections are often my favorite.  Here are a couple from Country Living...





Here, from French Kissed Design, a tablescape with many repurposed items.  Notice, the old clock was made into a home for a bird's nest and the wine goblets contain her collection of silverware. 


No comments: