Saturday, April 3, 2010

Opening Day: Elephant's Trunk Flea Market


While most people are counting the days until the beginning of baseball season (Go Red Sox!), I am patiently ticking of the days until the opening of the famed flea market, the Elephant's Trunk.  For antique dealers, this marks the beginning of our busy season and more opportunity to hunt for the ever-elusive hidden treasure.  Located in New Milford, CT, the Elephant's Trunk began in 1976.  It opens every Sunday from April 4th until November 28th.  All of my "serious" dealer friends either set up there or go to shop, regularly.  The gates open at 5:45am for early shoppers.  They pay $20 to get an early look at the goods.  Regular admission begins at 7am and costs less than a cup of coffee (only $2).

I set up there about 5-6 times a season, waking up at 4am to make the hour plus drive.  With my flashlight in hand, I make a quick round of the 400+ vendors scouting out the competition and looking for bargains in the process.  Then before daybreak, I begin unloading my merchandise.  It's a lot of work, but great fun.  You can't fake it in this industry.  You have to love what you do or it's just not worth it. 

Besides the excitement of selling my treasures to an appreciative crowd, I most look forward to meeting people. In addition to other dealers,  I've met movie set designers, a cattle farmer, jewelry designers, interior decorators, shop owners, and people from as far away as Texas. 

If you can make it, skip breakfast in favor of the warm, homemade donuts available from one of the food vendors.  Also, save some cash to grab a few bouquets of flowers amd some fresh vegetables on your way out.   See you there!

For more info, go to http://www.etflea.com/.
For flea market tips, see my last blog entry.

No comments: