Sunday, June 6, 2010

Favorite Finds



With the school year coming to rapid close (as a mom of two school-aged children), I've had less time to blog lately, but I thought I would share my favorite vintage finds from this weekend.
I love when organizations have tag sales to raise money.  I always find that there is a wide array of offerings all in one place (which means more opportunity to stumble upon a treasure).  This weekend there were so many of these sales, I could only go to three.  The first was held on the town green to benefit a youth group.  The sale started at 9 am, but I arrived at 8:15.  Many of the vendors were setting up and none of them minded me looking around.  I ended up buying quite a few pieces here without much competition.

This is a cigarette box from the 1930s.  It had belonged to the sellers aunt.  It is in near-mint condition.  Notice the box is cedar-lined.







If you follow this blog, you know I am frequently drawn to blue hues.  I bought the beautiful piece of hobnail glass in a "sea-glass blue" and the little brass cricket from the same woman.





I found this piece of pottery for 50 cents! 



As a former ball player, I couldn't resist this 1950s Spaulding glove.  The leather is still supple and aged to perfection.  I loved even more that it belonged to the female half of the couple selling at this tag sale.  The husband was all too happy to brag about the athleticism of his wife.  (The stories and the people behind the objects I buy and sell are my favorite part of being an antique dealer.)  This glove belonged to "Sue" when she was a young girl.  She said that she played with the boys and was better than them until puberty hit and the boys were physically stronger.  I admire these women who helped pave the way for today's female athletes.




Below are two pieces of art that I found at a third charity tag sale, this one to benefit a women's shelter.  I went last year and found some great art too, so I knew I had to stop by this year.  I arrived about an hour or so into the sale and left with these two pieces, both signed.





I'd call that a successful morning.  Some of these items will make their way to my shop, so be on the look-out.  Please feel free to share your favorite finds.  I always love a good story.

No comments: