Friday, December 18, 2009

Decorating With Vintage Ornaments

I love vintage ornaments.  Sometimes I'm drawn by a sense of nostalgia or just the pure "glitzyness" of the piece.
Just this week I picked up two handmade cardboard houses that were decorated with fabric.  Since the fabric was from the 70s, I'm guessing these houses are at least 35 years old.  I imagine a mother and her children sitting around the kitchen table trying to create Christmas decore with whatever scraps they could find and these charmers were the result. 




I just can't resist those Shiny Brites!  Like an eighty-year old former showgirl, some may think they are past their prime, but I think they still pack plenty of glitz and glamour.   Manufacturing of these beauties began in 1939. They were inexpensive drugstore purchases, but the gorgeous wear and patina as well as the charming images on many are difficult to duplicate and make them highly collectible.  They are also very fragile, which makes it important for me to keep replenishing my supply.  I will often group the bulbs by color and put them into beautiful crystal bowls.  Some of the more unique bulbs get a place of honor on my gold wire tree.







Finally, there are the cherished antique Victorian ornaments.  Many of today's designs are exact replicas of these gorgeous works of art.  Finding and purchasing an original one of these is difficult and costly, but worth it!




Look beyond the seasonal displays at department stores.  Check your parent's or grandparent's attic for these vintage treasures and add a little history and personality to your Christmas decor.




Here are a few vintage items currently in my etsy shop....






No comments: