Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cape Cod's Hidden Gem: The Greenbriar Jam Kitchen

I was blessed enough to have grown up on Cape Cod.  Whenever we visit my parents (which is often),  one of my daughters' favorite spots is this magical little place in Sandwich called the Greenbriar Jam Kitchen.  It's a little cottage set on a pond with gorgeous gardens and trails surrounding the property.  It was started by Ida Putnam in 1903 and still operates using Ida's recipes in the original turn-of-the-century kitchen.  Part of the Thorton W. Burgess Society, they offer workshops and a large educational center.    (You may have heard of the Thorton Burgess, he was the creator of Peter Rabbit.  A museum in his honor is in downtown Sandwich.) 
It's a great place for nature-lovers of all ages.  Children can even meet the real Peter Rabbit there!  For more info, or to place a mail order with the Jam Kitchen click here





Louise is one of many helpful and friendly Jam Kitchen employees...



"Tis a wonderful thing to sweeten the world
which is in a jam and needs preserving."
...Thornton W. Burgess, 1939, to Ida Putnam


I most heartily agree with Mr. Burgess.  I covet the quick-to-sell-out raspberry jam and always make sure to stock up before summer's end.  


A couple of  pics of the grounds:




I took a little time to relax on the front porch and watch all the butterflies flutter by. (Notice the large bag of jam next to me.  I bought 8 jars!)



No comments: