Monday, March 29, 2010

Packing Away Winter

I'm making a bold move this week.  I've decided that, come what may, I'm going to pack away winter.  This means running all hats, mittens, gloves, scarves and such through the wash (or to the dry cleaner) and tossing them into a Space Bag.  All coats, jackets, and snow pants must go, too.  Add in the heavy sweaters, turtlenecks and practical boots.  Sleds, snow shovels, and Ice Melt will be lugged to the shed.  Then and only then can spring really begin.
This may not seem like such a "bold move" to most people, but in New England putting all this away is kind-of like purposely breaking a mirror or opening up an umbrella inside--it's tempting fate.  Weather here is tricky.  For instance, temperatures hit the 60s here a couple of weeks ago.  Everyone was pulling out the spring gear, some even sporting shorts and flip-flops.  The parks were crowded.  We even had lunch at the beach.  Then we were hit with flooding rainstorms and freezing temps again.  Out came the scarves and gloves.  April here is as likely to bring snow storms as it is to bring spring showers.  But I need to believe that spring is really here, so here I go (fingers crossed and knock on wood).  Wish me luck!


Goodbye basket full of winter...



Hello spring!  (image courtesy of A Country Farmhouse http://www.acountryfarmhouse.blogspot.com/)





2 comments:

Evelyn said...

yes, goodbye winter indeed! we didn't get any snow here in Seattle, but still cold and rainy... thanks for visiting my blog!

Gina said...

Your blog is great! I hope to make it to Seattle someday. I hear it is beautiful...and wet.