Friday, March 19, 2010

Too Hot to Handle

Among my many collections, is one comprised of vintage umbrellas.  The attention to detail is what draws me to these.  It seems to be a lost art.  Not only do the umbrellas have great fabric prints, but the handles are always something special.  As I've said before, I just can't bear to see them tossed into a landfill or unappreciated.  Here are a few of my favorites from my personal collection.


This handle is sterling silver and probably dates to the late 1800s.  I think it looks like the handle of a cane.


The handle of this umbrella is made of ivory and resembles a sword handle.  It was probably made by a former swordmaker when swords became obsolete.


What handle could be better than this one??????



These are the most "lady-like" of the bunch.  They are both made in Italy, just one more reason to love Italy (as if the food and wine weren't enough).



No comments: