Friday, February 26, 2010

A "Grown-Up" Snow Day

Well, it's another snow day here in New England.  My girls are still asleep so they haven't heard the news yet.  But, I know soon they will come shuffling down the stairs looking for me and then I'll be "on call". 

"Mom, I'm hungry!"
"Mom, can we watch a movie?"
"Mom, I'm hungry!"
"Mom, can we go sledding?" 
"Mom, I'm hungry!"
"Mom, she's bothering me!"

Hey, this is all good stuff and I'm not complaining.  I love being a mom, but sometimes I daydream about what I would do if I had an entire day to myself.  A snow day.  A day that I couldn't run any errands or do any housework.  What would I do? 

I'd start my day with a large mug of hot tea and sit myself on the sofa to read one of the 20 or so books that I have scattered throughout the house waiting to be read.  Then I'd make myself some homemade blueberry muffins with plenty of butter.  Maybe I'd actually have time to take a relaxing bath--I've heard about them but never actually experienced one.  Then I'd put a fire on and rent a mindless movie or a great thriller.  I'd order some pizza for lunch/dinner (You can have slash meals when your not responsible for others) and call it a day.  That's good enough for me.  A day to be completely lazy and self-absorbed.

But what's the fun in that.  Instead I'll make the muffins with my girls and clean up the resulting mess.  I definitely won't have time for the books, but I could put on that fire and watch a Disney movie.  There will be laundry and dishes and picking up and playing and probably sledding.  But, best of all, there will be hugs and kisses and snuggles.  I guess the books can wait a few more years.

Here's my virtual "Grown-Up" Snow Day:


Blueberry Muffins courtesy of Martha Stewart...

Ingredients

Makes 6 large or 12 small muffins

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 3/4 cups blueberries

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.butter large (3 3/4 inches) or small (2 3/4 inches) muffin tins, and set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg, egg yolks, and vanilla; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low; alternate adding reserved flour mixture and milk to mixer, beginning and ending with flour. Remove bowl from mixer; gently fold in berries by hand. Divide batter among muffin tins; sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake until light golden, about 45 minutes for large muffins, about 30 minutes for small muffins. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; transfer to wire rack, and let cool completely.


Book courtesy of Kristin Hannah...




Relaxing bath, courtesy of House Beautiful...




What's better than pizza you don't have to cook??

No comments: